How to become an Automation Engineer
How much time does it need ?
We can not expect training of automation engg., from universities as this education is all about products & technologies. As these technologies change faster , it is very difficult for universities to cope up with the pace of the change of technologies.
There are two ways to become “ Automation Engineer “ .
I have met many automation engineers in my career . These engineers worked for years on automated machines & so could acquire knowledge of all automation components irrespective of their original engg. branch . However this is a longer way .
Another way is that now one can learn all these technologies at private training institutes. These institiutes are normally operated by industries who work in automation field . There are few such institutes in India .
However , fresh engineering graduates think that as Automation Engineering is all about learning of technologies from 4 different engineering branches , the training duration will be in years. It is not. Such training can be imparted in months ( typically 300 hrs ). This is possible as the training is al about imparting application knowledge of the products used in control systems.
Application knowledge consists of :
01. Working principle
02. Selection criteria
03. Configuration ( making the product suitable for an application through interfacing & programming )
04. Troubleshooting on system level
Such application knowledge of majorly used automation components can be imparted fast as compared to the basic engineering knowledge .
Please note that the selection of the proper institute plays a major role in effective knowledge transfer , as the competency level of each institute defers .
Please read my next article “How to select a good training institute for Automation Engg. traning ?” to secure yourself....
By Nilesh Salgaonkar, Founder Director , TAACT
- Congratulations on being an engineer !!! What next ?
- What does industry expect from fresh engineers
- How to prepare resume
- How to crack interviews
- How to choose career
- What are the criteria of a good job
- What is automation Engg
- What is an automation engineer
- Why Automation Engineers are in great demand
- Why Automation Engg is a secured & prosperous career
- Why Automation Engg Is one of the best options to start own business
- How to become an Automation Engineer
- How to select a good training institute for Automation Engg traning